I have mentioned the pistachio loaf cake several times in my blog as this is a good favourite to bake and honestly thought that I have uploaded this recipe! However, i couldn’t find this in my blog entries as my friend, Rozzy has requested this so here it is for you!!!
This recipe is from the Hummingbird Bakery – ‘Cake Days’ book and it is such a simple cake to make and lovely and moist! 🙂
Ingredients for the sponge:
- 190g unsalted butter softened
- 190g plain flour
- 190g caster sugar
- 3 x eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Quarter tsp salt
- 25ml soured cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g shelled pistachios roughly chopped
For the glaze:
- 120g icing sugar
- 40g ground pistachios (use the food processor)
- Preheat the oven to 170c or GM3 and grease the loaf tin with butter and dust with flour
- Using a hand-held electric whisk or freestanding electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time making sure all the ingredients are mixed together.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and add this to the mixture in two batches on a low speed. Then add the soured cream and vanilla extract and stir the chopped pistachios by hand.
- Pour this batter into the loaf tin and bake for 50 to 60 mins or until the sponge feels firm to touch and your skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the loaf to cool and turn out onto a wire rack to cool down fully before adding the glaze.
- For the glaze, mix the icing sugar in a bowl with 2 x tablespoon of water and mix together to form a running paste. If the glaze is too thick, add more water to thin it but a little at a time. Stir in the ground pistachios and keep a small amount aside to sprinkle on top. Pour this over the cooled loaf and sprinkle the remaining pistachios. Enjoy with a nice cup of tea! 🙂